Monday, September 16, 2019

Collection of helpful kayaking roll videos when you are starting out!

Helpful Roll Technique Videos:

I typically teach the sweep roll.

I was shown the video below in Idaho when I was a super new kayaker.  I started getting my combat rolls shortly after doing these exercises!  This is a great dry land exercise if you can't get to the river or if you're having trouble pulling down on your paddle blade when trying to roll.

http://www.creativepursuits.net/kayaking.htm

I like the edit below because of its underwater footage and clear instructions.  It doesn't matter if you're in a sea kayak or whitewater kayak, you would still implement the sweep roll the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLxxI4GDE80

Most people seem to think they need a roll before getting out on the river, but that's not true!  The T-Rescue is an awesome rescue technique that helps keep you in your boat even if you can't roll while you're crushing those class 2's.  The T-Rescue also helps to teach you to be calm underwater while doing a series of steps (flip, tuck, move hands slowly, hip snap). Being able to stay calm  underwater while trying to pull off a roll is really important.  T-Rescues can be used in any class of whitewater.

After several years of teaching, I've realized the T-Rescue is a very simple tool that's underused on the river.  I often see paddlers try a roll or two and then wet exit without any attempts to T-Rescue.  The T-Rescue helps you stay in your boat.  Remember when kayaking with newer paddlers to keep your groups tight and stay close to paddlers that are a bit more tipsy.  If somebody flips, race towards them even if they have a great roll, you never know when someone might swim.  The T-Rescue can be just as exciting as a getting a roll and will stoke your confidence! 



I really how this video has real river examples of paddlers using their roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwpjBQLF7J4


Seth Ashworth has come out with a great YouTube channel with all sorts of fun kayaking topics.  This one is about how to gain confidence in your roll.  There are some excellent and fun to practice tips in here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ccNnPmdC0Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR25FCcqGRDgUmuDl2kfL3QCtQwjuDDvD6MN-qi1ZkaNfvAbwdPZh0bT8OY


The roll is something we all need to practice, just like our kayaking skills!  Whenever I go kayaking I do a roll at the put in.  This helps me feel confident about my roll and also softens up my gear and makes it more comfortable to paddle while I'm warming up.  If it's starting to get cold out or the rivers are getting too high, I hit up my local pool session to get some practice in.  The lakes in the summer are another great option.  Pool sessions are fun and a great way to meet more kayakers.

Remember rolling isn't a failure!  You stayed in your kayak!  You rolled your kayak in a rapid!  You stayed calm, cool, and collected.  You should be stoked.

We are all between swims.  And don't forget to do your booty beers (rootbeers).  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment