Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Snake Prep 2014

To start my blog off here's a little girl power for you!  This lady go getter paddler kayaked the entirety of the Stikine and was the first female to paddle the complete run (including Site Zed which is a massively powerful rapid).  I think she even boated it twice!  YES!  Kayaking is a male dominated sport, so it's awesome to see these ladies keep up with the boys and do it well!

http://www.canoekayak.com/videos/first-woman/

SNAKE RIVER 2014

I'm getting prepped to hit Hell's Canyon on the Snake River this month.  The plan is to self support kayak 32 miles from Hell's Canyon Damn to Pittsburgh Landing over the course of 4 days.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/633/

So far I have self supported the Rogue River in Oregon twice.  The Snake will be a new river for me, the river travels through Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.  I'm excited to self support again, this is my favorite type of whitewater kayaking.  

The most challenging part of the trip is packing ALL your camping gear, clothes, food, and typical safety gear into your kayak.  I have minimized what I wear on the river, but I don't underestimate how crappy and cold the weather can get out there.  I also have at least an extra day or two of food on me just in case.   I bring a tent because I won't sleep as well thinking snakes and spiders could be crawling on me as I sleep. Plus a tent or tarp can be an awesome shelter if it's raining and there are minimal trees.  I like to take pictures and video along the way, so I bring a small power stick with me to re-up my GoPro at least once.  I bring an extra waterproof SD card with me too.  My camera battery lasts for several days if I'm not taking too much video on it and temps aren't too cold.  I am taking my Stomper 80 again this year.  I'd love to get a boat for self supporting, but I just don't have one yet.  Keep in mind you need several dry bags and the dry sacks work well inside dry bags to keep things extra dry (clothing, food).

For my meals I plan easy.  I take a water filter and one water bottle.  It's nice to bring along a collapsable water bottle too, then you don't have to pump water as much when you are in camp and you can stash it flattened easily in your boat.  I bring a small thermos to put tea or hot coffee in for the morning and on the river.  This comes in really handy when it's cold!  All the meals I make require water to be boiled or no prep at all.  Couscous (add seasoning, powdered milk, freeze dried veggies), a couple of bagels, jerky, instant coffee, tea bags, tuna in foil, granola/protein bars, instant oatmeal with freeze dried fruits, apples hold up ok and so do oranges.  I've been experimenting with pre made meals too.  They are OK, but I find the portions too big for one meal.  One day I'm going to get a dehydrator and my my own awesome camp meals.

Planning for the trip:
-Always make sure to confirm put in and take out.  Organize shuttle accordingly.  This trip we are paying for a shuttle to avoid a 5-6 hour trip the opposite way we came.  I found shuttle drivers online really easily for the Snake and shuttle drivers have worked out awesome on the Rogue.
-Know your run.  I bought a waterproof map to take along and have also read it several times over to get to know the Snake before we go.  This trip has some old farms and petroglyphs along the way.  Plan the number of days you want to go for, estimate camp sites, and always plan for the unexpected and bring a little bit more food.    
-Always let someone back home know your plan and when you are going to contact them next.  
-A break down paddle is always a good idea, first aid kit, and of course your typical paddling gear and rope.
-Check to see if you need any type of permits or other requirements like a groover.  This trip is post permit season, but requires at least an Idaho Invasive Species sticker (7$).








http://kayakcamping.amongstit.com/2010/03/25/the-groover-aka-personal-human-waste-management-system/  

This website can help you make a groover for a kayak.  This article features a large groover.  I made a smaller one for shorter trips that fits behind my seat.  Don't forget your Wag Bags so you can reuse your groover!





As always there's more to learn about self supporting.  I am still having issues fitting my new dry bags into the back of my Stomper.  Perhaps I'll just use my less dry bags and make sure what needs to STAY dry is double dry bagged.  I'll post a blog about the trip after it's completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment