Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What to wear?!?!

I'm getting super stoked for the SNAKE!  Hell's Canyon is gonna be a great time.  BUT, what should I wear?!

Washington's rivers are quite cold, typically by the end of the summer they aren't too bad to swim in, but still quite chilly.  My past experiences paddling in Idaho is that the water can be really warm or really cold, it depends on the source of the river.  The Snake is dam released, so I'm estimating temps will be warmer.  I checked out the forecast and it's clear skies, high 80's and possibly 90's!  This is dry top weather, but I'm going to wear my drysuit with light layers underneath.  That way I won't have wear wet gear daily.  I'm throwing in a swimsuit too, first time doing that!  

Typically for multi day trips I wear the same thing two days at a time.  If my under layers get wet I sleep in my dry stuff and hang up the wet stuff.  Then I wear the wet stuff on the river the next day.  I will warm up on the river and it's nice to have something dry to wear when you take off the river, especially if it's cold out.  I've been told you can dry your clothes by sleeping in them, but that depends on how wet they are!

I practiced packing my kayak again today with all my gear and food that I will take.  The only thing I didn't do was put on my drysuit....   This time I was able to pack everything in more easily and use my Watershed bags!  I secured my groover into the front foam pillar with gorilla tape and that works great!  It's accessible and not in the way now.  Doing this also opened up a lot of space in my kayak, which is awesome!





No comments:

Post a Comment